Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The Return



The Good
:
Plot was very neat, not great - just neat.

I really enjoyed the colors of the film and the subtle things that made you believe what was happening to the character.

I honestly think that Sarah Michelle Gellar is a better actress than people give her credit for - she was alright here, but Buffy will always be her best.

I thought the cover art was exceptionally creepy - it's what drew me to choose this film, though the film itself was far less creepy than the cover art would lead you to believe.

The Bad: Once again - though you understood much more than in Session 9, there were still many things you just didn't get at the end.

Also - SMG was supposed to be from Texas but she had her normal accent. I'm thankful she didn't do a BAD accent like every one Costner has ever tried - but something, any kind of effort at all, would have been nice.

Over All: Meh, wouldn't kill you to watch it if it came on TV or something but don't go out of your way.

1 comment:

Pope said...

On March 5th 2007, I said this about the film:

"I keep wanting to like Sarah Michelle Gellar, largely due to the fact she is becoming the mainstream's new "Scream Queen". I want to like her so much... but alas she has yet to do anything I have enjoyed, not on the big screen, not on the small screen. Oh well, enough griping about SMG. The Return isn't a traditional horror movie or traditional thriller, it's a strange combination of the two but lacking in the essential elements of both. It fails to inspire fright or suspense, it also fails to keep ones attention. The direction was slow and uninteresting. The plot was a bit confusing, and not in the way good thrillers are supposed to be. It starts out boring and gets worse as it progresses. I asked the guy at the video store if this was ever in theaters, he said it was and I wondered why I hadn't heard about it, now I know why, it was horribly bad and thankfully word of mouth saved thousands of people's 85 minutes. Sadly The Return made me long for mediocrity of The Grudge."