Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Reincarnation




The Good:

Asian cinema is always unbelievably good at seriously making you feel an emotion, whatever they might be going for (disoriented, unsettled, afraid), and this film did not disappoint.

The jerky just "off" movements of the characters - that "not quite right" color in some rooms - the camera angles and the music/sound all worked brilliantly together to make you feel a constant weight of dread pressing in on you.

This film did contain one of the creepiest things I've seen in a long time - the doll. I'm not going to say anything else - if you see/have seen the film then you/you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.


The Bad:
Once again in the end I was left in complete confusion. Unfortunately - as brilliant as the Asian horror is on all other fronts - the confusion factor at the end can be very high. I'm not sure if I was more annoyed because at the had no idea what had happened or because since I couldn't figure out what had happened the feeling of unease just wouldn't let up. Either way - I wanted something more and just didn't get it.

All in all:
Good Asian horror - not nearly as good as Ju-on or Ringu - but good. If you like puzzles as endings and don't mind the risk of being continually unsettled when you can't figure out what happened - it's worth a watch.

No comments: