Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Little Miss Sunshine



The Good:

Quirky, fun story with lots of heart.

Very well written and acted.

Ran the gambit of emotions from hysterical laughter to hysterical tears.

Absolutely stellar ensemble cast.

Abigail Breslin was wonderfully funny and equally heartbreaking and most importantly REAL. So often child actors are just so rehearsed it isn't believable. Not in this case. You really felt for her through all her ups and downs.

Greg Kinnear - who is so often hit or miss for me - was 100% on the mark this time. He was equally real as both the mumbo-jumbo spouting motivational speaking asshole and as the struggling father just trying to hold things together.

Toni Collette - who I think is so very underrated as an actress - breaks my heart here, and that is what she is meant to do.

Alan Arkin is both a riot and a jagged little pill as the haggard but lovable grandfather figure.

Steve Carell - though incredibly low key - has what I think is his best role so far.

And last, but certainly not least - Paul Dano almost steals the show with a role that has him not speaking for a better part of the film.

The Bad:
Olive's dance sequence was almost painful to watch - though I'm certain that's exactly how it was meant to be.

Mothers who push their children to be Skipper in the disturbing Little Girl Beauty Pageants have always nauseated me. This film does not help that.

All in all:
One of the few times I can honestly say I agreed with the critics and the Oscar committee. This was an excellent film. I cannot recommend it highly enough. I will say - if you like it, give Happy Texas a try. Another little known gem.

No comments: