Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Pan's Labyrinth



I have been wanting to see this film for a long time now. It did not disappoint me.

The Good:
The film was beautiful.

The use of color was amazing, it was a living breathing part of the film.

The story really drew you in - like an otherworldly version of Anne Frank.

The music - also beautiful - even heartbreaking at times.

The actors were superb.

I can honestly say the "villain" is one of the best I've seen since Spacey in Swimming With Sharks. You REALLY hate this guy. You want him to die horribly and slowly - and that is the mark of a good actor (in a villain role anyway).

It also - my husband and I agreed - had one of the most disturbing scenes we'd ever seen in a movie (horror included). I won't tell you any more. You'll know it when you see it.

The Bad:
The ending is a bit - confusing I guess? It's almost a "choose your own adventure" kind of ending it that it is left up to you to decide what you think happened. I won't say more for fear that I ruin it for someone.

Though it doesn't bother me in most cases - and didn't affect me at all in this film since I speak Spanish (or rather understand what is being said) - the film is subtitled which tends to push some people away.

All in all :
A definite must see if you are a fan of fantasy and stunning visuals. If you liked Lord of the Rings and even the quiet poignant beauty of Shindler's List, you'll like Pan's Labyrinth.

No comments: