Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Earthsea



The Good:

As a long time fan of the Legend of Earthsea series by Ursula K. Leguin, I was excited to see this finally made into a visual media. Particularly with the success of Harry Potter, which is pretty much Earthsea with some minor changes - I was anxious to see the better of the two come to light.

Visually it was very well done for a Sci-fi Channel Original. Sometimes they can be quite a bit hokey in their effects.

Danny Glover was perfectly cast as Ogion. He was exactly what I had always imagined the character to be.

The Bad:
It was too short to get the full story. Far too much was left out or changed from the book for it to be in any way a true adaptation.

Ged was an amazingly powerful and complex character - and Shawn Ashmore did not in any way shape or form capture this. He was Iceman, again.

Equally disappointing was Kristin Kreuk as Tenar - who was easily washed away and lost against her much stronger female cast-mates.

All in all:
If you liked the books, avoid it - it will only break your heart.

1 comment:

Pope said...

I find Leguin's writing difficult to get into. I have tried multiple times, I just can't read her stuff. It bores me.

The movie/mini-series Earthsea was rather "meh".