Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The Abandoned


The Abandoned Trailer (2007) - Click here for more home videos


The Good:

Everything I love about a horror film - this movie gave me - and in scads! It managed to pull off things I typically attribute to Asian movies and do so better than I've ever seen done before. It was WONDERFULLY creepy - so much so that I had to do something else for an hour before bed last night just so I would stop thinking about just how much it got to me!

The sound and the camera angles in this movie were dead on. They gave you a constant uneasy feeling that just never let up - even in the end. The flashes of disturbing if puzzling images that the Asians do SO well were flawlessly integrated into this piece.

It gave you no safe havens - no tiny corners in the light where you could catch your breath for a moment and feel safe. It hit you hard from the opening minutes of the film and didn't let up until the credits rolled. I was horrified the entire time and at this point I've seen SO many horror movies that is hard to do. Bravo ADHF - BRAVO.

The Bad:
Well... you don't really know what "happens" in the end - or why/how it "happens" but I don't really think you're supposed to - so I'm not sure that's really a bad thing.

All in all:
If you see one film from the first After Dark Horror Fest - this should be it.

1 comment:

Pope said...

I keep forgetting this is the one MUST-SEE from the After Dark Horror Fest you recommended. I will try to see it soon.