Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The Messengers



The Good:

It had a good cast - they just didn't have a lot to work with.

Some good effects and genuine creepy moments - but they borrowed heavily from Asian cinema and didn't do it nearly as well.

The Bad:
This is another in the long line of - "I think I just figured out the whole story in the first 30 minutes - if I'm right I'm going to be really mad" - line of films. And once again - if you think you figured it out - you're going to be right.

All in all:
I spent more time trying to figure out where I'd seen Kristen Stewart (who plays Jess) than I invested in the entire movie. Turns out it's Panic Room. It was just a big let down because you really can figure it all out in the opening sequences - and once you've done that - there is really nothing else that keeps you watching, except the need to see if you were right - at which point you will feel stupid for continuing to watch.

1 comment:

Pope said...

My conclusion was:

"It could have been better, it could have been worse. A little bit The Amityville Horror (without the scares), a little bit The Devil's Backbone (without the great plot) and a little bit The Grudge (I really have little to say about The Grudge, I wasn't impressed at all by it). Dead smack dab in the center of the road."