Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The Illusionist




The Good:

The story was fantastical - yet grounded. I don't know how to explain it better. You became one of the audience members, watching the magic and trying to reconcile rational disbelief with the wonder and beauty of the illusion.

The use of color and the brilliant effects added to the magical feel of the film.

Paul Giamatti was again, excellent - as was Ed Norton.

The Bad:
I just don't like Jessica Biel. I think she's a crap T & A actress with little other function. The only thing I've ever liked her in was The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Remake) and that was just because she rolled around on the ground in her own spit and snot for awhile while she did her half-assed job of fake crying.

I don't like Rufus Sewell either. I haven't liked him in anything I've ever seen him in - and he just keeps popping up. He always plays the same guy - that generic asshole who really isn't all that convincing. His lazy eye bugs me - and yes, I realize he can't help that - but it bugs me all the same.

All in all:
I really enjoyed this film. The way Ed Norton and Paul Giamatti played off each other was fascinating to watch. The Illusions were convincing and pretty.

No comments: