Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Microcosmos



The Good:
Beautifully filmed. The camera work in this film is just brilliant. For such tiny tiny things - you really feel like you are a part of the world which must seem infinitely vast to them. I'm not sure if some of these shots were set up in a closed environment or if it all really was filmed in "a meadow somewhere on earth" - but if it was filmed in an actual meadow, then it's even MORE impressive.

The soundtrack is minimal and also perfect. The music becomes a part of the story, without taking over.

The Bad:
I really don't have very much that's negative to say. Spiders freak me out so I wasn't too keen on the spider scenes but that's more my issue than a problem with the film itself.

All in all:
An excellent nature documentary about seldom thought about creatures and the intricacies of their world. Not your typical documentary - very different than most I've seen - but very good. If you don't like creepy crawlies, this is not the film for you - as aside from the brief appearances of a bird and a frog - that's pretty much all there is.

No comments: