Tuesday, March 4, 2008

The Sixth Sense



The Good:
Some of the effects weren't half bad.

There were a couple of things that definitely made me jump.

Toni Collette is always good.

Haley Joel Osment is a decent child actor.

The Bad:

I know, I know - I'm biased - but Bruce Willis failed to impress. I didn't believe he was a psychologist. I didn't believe he was a human.

The surprise ending was not a surprise. If you're paying any attention at all you can figure it out in the opening minutes of the film.

All in all:
Mediocre at best. I remember being dragged to the theatre by a friend to see this movie. I was told "there is no way you will see this ending coming - this guy (meaning Shyamalan) is great". When I figured out what the ending was a few minutes later - I leaned over to my friend and said "if this is the way it ends, then I want my money back." The reply I got was "how do you do that?". Sometimes it's a lucky guess. Sometimes it's puzzle solving. In the case of this film - it was neither - it is spelled out for you in the opening minutes of the movie and simply reinforced the rest of the way through. Not really surprising.

No comments: