Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Blade Runner: The Final Cut



The Good:
The effects were solid and at times beautiful. Watching this again after years reminded me just how far ahead of it's time this movie actually was.

Harrison Ford - the man, the myth, the legend. Had my first crush on him as Han Solo, couldn't get enough of Indiana Jones - but to me he will always be Rick Deckard. Everything that Keanu Reeves did wrong in translated Philip K. Dick's character for A Scanner Darkly - Ford did right in Blade Runner.

Sean Young is stunning in this movie. She's beautiful and vulnerable and everything Rachael was meant to be.

Oh how I love Rutger Hauer as Roy Batty! Equal parts vicious emotionless killer and thoughtful heart-wrenching poet he embodies everything Roy was meant to be. His final moments in the film are still one of my favorite cinematic moments of the Sci-Fi genre.

I would be amiss to say that I wasn't influenced by Daryl Hannah's Pris. One of the first characters I ever built in City of Heroes was completely based on her interpretation of this role. Sex kitten meets lunatic assassin and played to a tee.

The Bad:
Watching it then the soundtrack (done by Vangelis) didn't seem out of place - watching it now the music seems dated and too cheesy for such a solid film.

I don't feel like the location of the movie was clearly explained so it became confusing at times to understand why there was such an Asian influence.

Over all:
I loved this film when first I saw it, and I love it even more the second time around. If Scanner failed miserably to interpret a solid novel - the Blade Runner succeeds on all aspects. I have enjoyed many of Ridley Scott's movies but this may be my favorite.

No comments: