Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Apocalypto



The Good:
Visually stunning piece of work.

The plot was strong. Yes it was history mixed with your traditional hero epic - but none the less it was strong, easy to follow, and well written.

Rudy Youngblood was absolutely brilliant as the main character Jaguar Paw. His emotion was tangible and raw. Exactly as it should have been.

Both the main "villains" were also exceptionally good.

The Bad:
It was an epic tale, ala The Odyssey and even Braveheart, which made it a little thick at times and perhaps a bit less accessible to the average viewer.

Again - I put this down as a negative ONLY because some people have so many problems with subtitled movies. This movie is subtitled, for me that was not a problem, but if subtitles bug you than this is not the film for you.

Over all:
I enjoyed it. For me it was particularly neat because I knew the history that surrounded the story that was being told so my mind was constantly pondering what was going on around the central story in the world at the time.

No comments: